Saturday, March 31, 2012

Kickball and Braai Day

This morning it felt great to sleep in! I can’t remember the last time I got to sleep in ‘til 8:15! I woke up had a lazy morning until I headed over to watch some kickball at 9:30. We also walked to the shops to get some top up cards. Kickball lasted a good hour or two, and I just watched and “babysat” the younger kids.

After kickball we came back for lunch and tried to figure out our internet. It took a while, and I was really scared that it wouldn’t work, but somehow I figured it out. Phew! I also did a couple things for lesson planning—working on some worksheets for English.

A little after 2pm we headed over to Birners for the braai. It was such a fun afternoon. We had a bocce ball tournament, in which Erika and I placed 3rd or was it 4th , and then a volleyball tournament. My team was Pastor Holtz, Heather, Dee, Karri and Noah Martin. We were the Happy Hotdogs. We won our first game, and then won the second game, making us the champions for the day!! Woohoo. Never thought I’d win a volleyball game, although it wasn’t too serious or anything. Then we had a friendly match of Zambia vs. Malawi and I got to choose which side I wanted to play on. I chose Malawi, and we lost.
After volleyball we had supper—delicious cheeseburger, beans, potatoes and salad with cake and ice cream for dessert. It was great food and we had a great time chatting with Mrs. Hartmann and Pastor Holtz and then later Mrs. Martin. She wanted to hear about our teaching experiences, because she’s considering starting some tutoring for the kids at the LBI in Malawi. That would be so amazing…any little bit of tutoring they get will help a lot! It’s nice being back here and being older and really getting to have adult conversations with the missionaries.

The rest of the evening was spent relaxing at the Birners, in the wonderful, cool evening air and chatting. There was also a devotion led by Pastor Birner. Shortly before 10pm we headed back home so we could get to bed at a decent hour for church tomorrow.

1 comment: