Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Smoke really does Thunder!

Last night was not awkward at all with Asher. We all went for a night swim in the pool and had fun chatting and getting to know each other. He is from a big family! We also found out he is from a very religious family, so that’s so cool to know he’s Christian as well. We all slept really well; there was no snoring. I tried sleeping in a bit today but the roosters wake me up at like 3 in the morning and then I doze in and out of sleep until I wake up. I think I finally got up a little after 7.
The morning was spent having breakfast, watching the news and I read some of my book. Asher headed into town because he was going to meet someone there but then we all planned on going to the falls at 11. It was such a gorgeous morning reading by the pool that I almost didn’t want to get up to go to the falls. I did of course and I’m glad I did. Our hostel provided a free shuttle ride out there. It was a gorgeous day. Even better views than yesterday. When we went yesterday the sky was mainly overcast and it was later afternoon. Well today the skies were a pristine blue and we were there late morning til the afternoon. Since we got the guided tour from Kelvin on Sunday, we gave Asher the 2nd hand tour. We took him to most of the same places Kelvin took us. It was so cool going with him and seeing him have the same feeling of awe and amazement at seeing the falls.
The super nice thing is that Asher brought a waterproof camera so when we went across the bridge he could take pictures and videos right up close. It was incredible. Today was even more breathtaking than Sunday. When we were on the bridge we saw a gorgeously brilliant double rainbow that went in a circle all around the bridge. So amazing!
My ankle has been giving me some issues lately…it hurts and makes a clicking noise every time I move my foot. I didn’t want to walk down to the boiling pot again today so I stayed up at the top. I treated myself with a cold coke and found a spot in the sun to try to dry off from getting soaked on the bridge. There was something just so wonderful about being all by myself enjoying God’s creation. There was no one around, and I snuck down to this little outlet that gets right up to the edge…it’s kind of hidden away. I perched myself against a tree and took pictures and just soaked in the sights. When I’m at the falls everything else falls away and all I can think about is how awesome God is and how content and happy I am. Africa is truly where my heart is.
We were planning on going to the curio market right outside the falls entrance since we promised the vendors we’d come back, but by the time we got done exploring the falls again we just weren’t in the mood to argue and barter with the vendors. We snuck out of there without getting hounded, which was nice. We caught a taxi back to town. That was also quite an interesting experience. We got a cab that was in way worse condition than the one we rode in the other night. We could tell it was iffy because right as we got to it, they were just finishing pumping up the tires with air. They also had to push the car to jump start it. 2 sparkplugs that should have been in the engine were sitting on the dash board and none of the doors had functioning handles. We were trapped on the inside. Also, we realized at the end that our driver, let's just say, wasn't in full control of his senses. We were happy to make it back without any issues and we were so happy that Asher was with us!
We were dropped off in town, Asher did a little grocery shopping and then we walked back to Jollyboys. Erika and I were both hungry so we got a sandwich and looked at the pictures we took today. Then all three of us played a few games of Jenga. I was the winner, since I never lost a game. J I pride myself in the little victories.
We were going to be picked up by Pastor Hartmann this evening but the plans fell through. So we have our final night here and we’ll get picked up at 8am tomorrow. The rest of the evening was spent chatting with some friends on FB, and reading my Grandpa’s book “Diary of a Missionary”. I’ve read it before but it just seems so much more relevant now that I’m here and know some of the areas he talks about. I also just read about the time when Grandpa and their whole family including my dad went on a trip to Victoria Falls. What awesome timing. Even Grandpa said how it’s just so hard to describe the beauty of the falls in words.

No comments:

Post a Comment