Thursday, May 17, 2012

Leaving the Land I Love

This morning was again, surreal. The alarm sounded way too early, at 5:20 and up I popped ready to shower and do the final packing. Before I knew it, Dee was there and ready to go. It just seemed so sudden.
We got to the airport with no problem, and as a nice goodbye there was the most gorgeous sunrise as we were driving. The sun was a brilliant, florescent orange. It was beautiful!

We hit the airport at the right time because we got there before the huge line formed. Again, we got through the Lusaka airport without any issues.

I was kind of a crab all morning. I was just so sad to leave. I always get sentimental like “this is the last time I’m going to see a minibus” or “this is the last time I’m going to hear a Zambian accent” or “this is my last step on African soil”.  As we took off and I looked down at the country I love it just felt like I was leaving my home and leaving a piece of my heart behind. It’s hard not knowing when or if I’ll ever get the chance to come back. I can only pray that God blesses me with another opportunity to come home to Africa again one day.

The flight was very uneventful and relatively easy. I didn’t sleep very much, and watched a lot of movies. I watched Big Miracle, New Year’s Eve, We Bought a Zoo, and The Descendants. That really made the time go by quickly. Before I knew it we were starting our descent into London.

The London airport also went smoothly. We found everything OK and when we didn’t, we knew that we could speak English and people would be able to help us no problem. J We left our 3 bags in a locker at the airport so we don’t have to worry about them.
Then we caught a bus to take us to the Travel Lodge near the airport where we’re staying. We were expecting 2 beds in our room but there was only one. Which is OK. The other issue now is that we don’t have shampoo and they don’t have any here to buy either. And there are no shops or anything around. I get picky when it comes to clean hair. I really hope we can find solution to this problem or I’m really not going to be a happy camper. I know I sound spoiled right now but after long hours of travelling all I really want is to feel clean. We had supper at the cafe and went on the free Wifi for a bit before heading to bed.

I’m thankful that we made it here safely and am just praying the next day goes by quickly so I can just arrive home.

No comments:

Post a Comment