Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Our First Sad Goodbye

This morning Dalitso came for tutoring, but no Gertrude. So I had a bunch of different things for Dalitso to choose from. He chose a fill in the blank worksheet, a reading comprehension sheet and the same map work we did with the ladies in English. It was a fun morning. He brought his baby brother Chisomo along so while Dalitso was working on his sheets I got to play with cute little Chisomo. At the end of the morning we had another photo shoot with the boys. The camera is seriously their favorite toy. We got some gems of pictures out of the photo shoot.

For English, I took my group back to the guest house area because Erika and I were doing different lessons, and at the Moyo’s house the classroom is just too small for both of us. With my ladies we read about 6 different reading comprehension passages and answered questions about them. It was kind of fun because this is the first time we’ve done something like this. Rhoda and Bertha especially seemed to enjoy it. At the end of class we played a game where I wrote down a bunch of the vocabulary words we’ve learned these past 3 months and put them in a plastic bag. Then the ladies had to draw out a word and describe it so the other ladies could guess what it was. They all complained it was too difficult but they all did such a great job! It was a proud teacher moment for me hearing them talk in English, even though it was broken English.

After class was lunch and I made a fried egg and avocado sandwich. It was delish. I also wasted time sorting out the zillions of pictures we’ve taken since we’ve been here. They were all combined together in my computer folders and I wanted to categorize them. Fun, I know.

This afternoon Shadreck and Pimbi both came so we did a couple worksheets and then played our usual flashcard game. Even though we always do the same things, I do see improvement in what they know in just a few short months. Another proud moment of my adorable, smart children. Of course, having these two made for a hyper afternoon. Shadreck is always jumping around and standing on the table and just being crazy. His craziness rubs off on sweet little Pimbi, so Pimbi burst out in random screams and vocalizations. It was pretty crazy and they just make me laugh.

Straight from afternoon tutoring, we called Mrs. Birner and headed into town to go grocery shopping for our camping trip. It was very successful and made us very excited for tomorrow.

When we got home we headed over to Anne’s. Unfortunately, we found out that Anne is going on vacation tomorrow and won’t be back before we leave. She totally deserves a holiday after all the hard work she’s done the past 3 weeks. For us, that means we had to say goodbye earlier than we were expecting. So we gave her a picture and a card as we sat on a mat in her backyard. Sarah was also there, so got to witness our tears. I didn’t think I would cry, but who was I fooling? There were definitely tears and hugs. It was hard. This was probably only a taste of what is to come… L

For supper we had spaghetti and chicken with veggies.
Then we packed for our camping trip and headed over for some TV. We had some great episodes of Say Yes to the Dress.

We’re getting up early tomorrow to head to Kafue and we’re not bringing computers, so the blogging will cease for a couple days.

No comments:

Post a Comment