Saturday, April 28, 2012

Dutch Reform

This morning was a lazy Saturday morning. I slept in until 8 and then read and went on the computer for a while. At 9:30 we went with Dave, Dee and Prof. Cherney to the Dutch Reform market. The other time we were at the Dutch Reform, it was our first day here in Zambia! All the curio shoppers set up shop at the Dutch Reform church. It’s a big expat attraction. So we shopped for an hour and half or so and then got some lunch. I focused mainly on getting gifts for people and I also got something for myself. For lunch we got chicken burritos and they were delicious—served with salsa and guacamole.

On the way back Dave dropped us off at a gas station near our house where there's a stand selling fruits and veggies. We picked up some cabbage, bananas and fresh mangos. The mangos we’ve been getting are just huge and deliciously juicy! We love that we can get so many fresh veggies and fruits for so cheap here, and literally walk down the street to get some.

This afternoon was pretty uneventful. I watched a movie and read my book. I was tempted to take a nap but by the time the movie was over and Erika woke up from her nap, it was kickball time so we headed over to campus. My buddies today were Aubrey and Corn, and Isabbel and Peace for a bit at the end. Aubrey discovered a new trick of climbing up on my back to play piggy back. He was perfectly content sitting there and starting singing songs…mainly about the Chipolopolo football team. J As I was watching kickball and playing with Aubrey I saw some kids and ladies over at Bertha’s yard throwing sticks at a tree. Things fell out of the tree and then everyone rushed over to pick them up and eat them. I was so puzzled as to what was in the tree so I went over there to see what they were doing. It turns out it was a mulberry tree and they were trying to knock the berries down. Pretty cool.

Before heading home we went to go say hello to Anne. It feels like we never see her anymore since we’ve moved over to the other guest house and she’s been so busy cooking.

For supper we grilled some chicken with slightly over-caramelized onions J, veggie stir fry and fried potatoes with onions and garlic. It was very yummy. Sadly, when it was dishes time I broke a big glass bowl. I had just washed it and put it in the drying rack and it must not have been balanced in there very well and all of a sudden it fell out. I was so close to catching it but sadly I couldn’t grasp it and it fell to the floor shattering into a zillion pieces. I felt so terrible and there was glass everywhere. Erika helped me clean up the glass and then we settled in for a night of more Friends. We’re on the final season!

I’ve been thinking of my family today, or Mom, Dad, and Dave at least, since they’re moving today! Hope everything went smoothly and can’t wait to see pictures of the new place!

No comments:

Post a Comment