Friday, April 13, 2012

Living in a Smoky Haze

It was so nice to have my boys again in tutoring—Ndamiwe, Elias and Justice. Everyone showed up except for Junior. Such sweet little boys and I didn’t realize how much I missed them. While I was just finishing up with Justice, Pastor Phiri came and said there was a little issue with English class today. Today was the day when the schools hand out report cards. So the mothers accompany their children to school to receive the reports. Because of this, class had to be cancelled today. So our easy Friday became a whole lot easier! With that unexpected free time we ended up making copies of our handout for the teacher training tomorrow. Then we went to pick up the projector so we can display our PowerPoint tomorrow and finally met Mr. Banda. The projector was in his office. Mr. Banda works with educating the seminary students and their wives on matters of health so when they go to the villages they can be facilitators there. There’s a lot more to his job description but I can’t remember all the details. It was so nice to meet him though. We’re going to see if maybe we can coordinate a trip out to Mwembezhi with him sometime.

We enjoyed an extended lunch hour. Unfortunately the neighbors were still burning leaves. This has been going on for almost 2 days straight now. From morning ‘til evening. So everything reeks of smoke: our whole house, our clothes, our hair. It’s so bad that my eyes are watering and my throat is scratchy. I also have a headache and have been feeling a little dizzy. I just hope and pray that they stop burning leaves soon!

At 1 we headed back to campus to help Anne by making beds. I think the grand total between the two of us was 27 beds. Some of the ladies came after a while and made the other ones. It was a long job, but I don’t mind making beds and I’m glad we could help out.
I stayed on campus after that to play with the kids for a while before choir.
Then choir was at 4 so I walked over to Bethel. There were only 6 of us girls there today. So we just ran through the couple songs we had learned on Monday and then just sang other songs for fun and then we were done. They do have choir tomorrow again so we’ll probably go again since they said almost everyone would be there; it’s the practice for the Sunday service.

After choir I got changed into some jeans since it was actually quite a chilly day today and then we went over to Dave and Dee’s for a cookout. The pastors from Cameroon, Anne, Pastor B, Pastor Weiser from the US and Erika and I were all there. There was delicious chicken and steak cooked on the grill, coleslaw, corn, rolls, beans and cheesy potatoes. Dee is a wonderful cook! We had a great time talking and sharing Africa stories. It turns out Pastor Weiser was roommates with my Dad when they went to Nigeria last year. Pastor Weiser is the liaison to Nigeria. When he talked about how my dad was so at home on that trip and just lit up when working with the people, it made me wish my dad could get back here because I know how much he loves Africa. God has everything in his hands though, so if it’s in his plan for Dad to get back here, I’m sure he will!

I enjoyed the rest of the evening chatting with some people on Facebook. Unfortunately we are still living in a smoky haze. I thought after the sun went down the smoke would subside but no, it’s still bad.
I should really get to bed since we have our in-service tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment