Monday, April 30, 2012

Marvelous Monday!

For a Monday, today was not half bad. It started out with my tutoring boys, who were right on time today! Ndamiwe, Elias and Paul were with me for the first half of the morning and then Justice came for the end. I’m not sure where Junior was today.

English also went wonderfully. My wonderful surprise today was that Parksen and Bertha were there! I have not had them in class for 2 weeks since they’ve been helping Anne in the kitchen. It made my day to see them again. I missed them a lot! We actually had a pretty good turnout for English today. 4 of my ladies came and 3 of Erika’s. Kalwua, Doris and Thokozani are now helping in the kitchen so we won’t see them ‘til next week. We did a review paragraph on church stuff and played a few games, which are always fun. Then we moved into the new unit on buildings, such as bank, market, shop, petrol station, hospital etc.
Tomorrow is May Day and a national holiday but we asked them still to come to class because we think we’ll be gone on Friday. So they’ll postpone their holiday until Friday, instead of getting 2 days off this week

For lunch we had scrambled eggs on toast with ketchup and a fresh, juicy mango. Wonderful lunch!

Then we headed over for the afternoon group. Our kids were a little late today so we ended up sitting on the Moyo’s porch making a list of what we still want to get done before we leave and watching Vicar Moyo give Paul and Obey a haircut. I love how buzzed and short they keep the boys’ hair here. We were being cruel to ourselves and started talking about what it’s going to be like to leave here. We got so sad we actually both started tearing up and had to change the subject. Thankfully, Miriam and Shine showed up so Erika went inside for tutoring.
I had to hunt Shad and Pimbi down. Shad decided to go home and take a bath first, and Pimbi was finishing up helping her mom do dishes. So about 40 minutes late, they were both there. While waiting for them I ran over to the press to make a few copies for tomorrow’s English class.

On our way back we stopped for a brief entertainment show by Shaneel, Corn, Steward, Brian, Pimbi, Sam, and Innocent. They were so giggly and happy and just acting goofy. Erika got some great video of it. I already know it’s going to one of those videos I go back and watch very often!

This afternoon we had absolutely nothing we had to do. So we relaxed and did laundry and then I decided to start working on putting together a PowerPoint presentation on our time here, for presenting when we get back to the States. It ended up being a huge long presentation with tons of pictures. It was so hard to choose just a few from the hundreds we have taken. Erika helped me out after a bit, and that pretty much took up the rest of our day, breaking for a bit to make supper.

Supper was rice with leftover sweet and sour sauce. It was a little too tangy for us last time so we tried mellowing it out a bit tonight by adding some water and milk. It was definitely a bit better. We also had our usual stir fry and I made my specialty garlic cheesy bread again.

After a few episodes of Friends and adding a few more things to the PowerPoint the day was over. It was quite a lovely Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment