Friday, April 27, 2012

Oh How I Love Fridays!

This morning’s tutoring group was my 4 boys that I’ve split into 2 mini groups. Ndamiwe and Elias didn’t come right on time though. Since this group has seemed to have missed the most tutoring time due to vacations and holidays etc. I really didn’t want them to miss another day. So Paul, Barnabas and I went to go find them. Paul has now decided that he’s going to come to tutoring every morning now. Today I wasn’t going to let him come since he’s come twice this week already, but then I just couldn’t resist a little boy who’s so eager to learn. So after Ndamiwe and Elias were done and I had Junior and Justice, I let Paul join in. It’s actually pretty nice to have Paul because he helps out the other boys.

After tutoring we had a little down time before English started so we hung outside on the porch with the boys. After tutoring they never want to leave. It’s so cute! Given, Obey, Stone, Paul, Barnabas, Erika and I sat out in the sun and just chatted until our ladies showed up for class. Sarah was the first to arrive around 9:30 and then we only had Ella come after that. I’m not sure where all the other ladies were today; they must have been working. It was a nice class though with such a small group. We did some worksheets that we hadn’t planned on doing but decided would be kind of nice to try out since there were only 2 ladies. They were worksheets on synonyms and antonyms and differentiating between there, their, and they’re. We also spent some time on trying to get the ladies to talk more, so we set out the letter flashcards that we use for the kids and we took turns describing a picture on a card. The rest of us had to guess which picture they were describing—sort of like an "I spy" kind of game. It worked out pretty well.

After English we came home for a quick lunch of PB&J sandwiches and fruit. Then we caught another minibus into town for some groceries and internet. It was actually a pretty quick trip since the internet line was especially short today. We also didn’t need a whole ton of groceries, just a couple things we were getting low on. The minibus ride back was an adventure though. We wanted to take one of the larger buses but there were none there when we were heading back. So we crammed on one of the small ones with all our bags. It was so ridiculously squished, we just pretty much laughed the whole way home. It’s amazing how used to it we are now. Things that we thought were strange or so typically “African” have started to just seem normal now.

When we got home and unpacked groceries we decided to go play kickball with the kids. I played for a little bit, but usually when we go over there I like to play with the little kids. They weren’t really around though, so I actually had to go hunt them down. Once they see us, then they’ll hang around. I found Brian, Corn, Goshen and then later Aubrey. All my little boys. They like to be aggressive with me sometimes. Goshen likes to jump on my lap and when I’m sitting down he likes to come up and jump on me from behind. Brian and Corn like to hang on my arms like I’m their jungle gym, and Aubrey just likes to cling to me like a koala clings to a tree. Corn has also started this thing where he likes to gently bite me. I definitely am trying to nip that in the bud. I love these little guys though. Nothing makes you feel more loved than having kids almost fighting over who gets to sit on your lap.

After a fun afternoon with the kids we came back for supper. We had some leftover rice which we put some salsa on—a new cuisine trick Erika taught me, which was delicious. We also had some leftover spaghetti sauce with pasta and then for the fresh stuff we stir fried some veggies again and I made some homemade garlic cheesy bread. We bought some garlic salt at the store today which flavored the veggies wonderfully. For the garlic bread I just cut pieces of brown bread in half and then rubbed some fresh garlic on them, spread on a little bit of butter, and sprinkled some garlic salt and cheese on top. Popped them in the oven to broil for about 4 minutes and they came out perfectly. They were so delicious!

The rest of the night was spent watching Friends…about a whole disc worth. What a wonderful way to spend a lazy Friday night—curled up on the chair under a blanket watching Friends and eating some chocolate. Mmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment