Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Super Successful Day!

This morning Dalitso was about half an hour late for tutoring. It was actually quite nice for me because I could enjoy a few quite moments by myself reading my book and trying to wake up. Gertrude never came today so it was just me and Dalitso. I had him write another pen pal response to some kids in America and then I decided we’d do something fun and I’d teach him some card games. I didn’t want to keep reading our novel without Gertrude. So we played some Kings in the Corner, Egyptian War and a new game that he taught me. I thought it was a good way to practice speaking English in a more informal way. Plus, it was just fun. J

In English today we learned about pronouns and did a practice worksheet. They caught on fairly well. I’m not sure if this will be something I’ll go into more depth on, or just leave it at where I taught it today. Bertha was asking some great questions, asking about possessive pronouns (although she didn’t know they were called that obviously). Sometimes I’m tempted to bump her up to the higher level group because she does very well; but then I’d lose my translator and my good friend. J To finish the day we did more work on spelling with Bananagrams.

Lunch was pretty uneventful, and then Shadreck and Pimbi came. They were great again today! They’ve become one of the most enjoyable groups for me! We worked on letters again and then did subtraction. We used little stones as a manipulative for helping us with subtraction. It seemed to work pretty well and they liked it!

After tutoring we were going to head into town for some groceries. After a brief meeting with Dave and Dee, Dee said she was heading into town so we could catch a ride with her. Sweet! We actually ended up all riding with Mrs. Birner. I think today was pay back for our frustrating day last Friday. Everything went so smoothly! I got our internet in record time and grocery shopping also went really quickly. We were in and out of the mall in 45 minutes. It was amazing!! After some fun shopping experiences with Mrs. Birner and some street vendors we headed home. I was in such a good mood, so the perfect way to end the afternoon was by playing with the kids outside for a bit. 5pm is my favorite time of the day. The sun is just setting so there are beautiful clouds in the sky and the air is cooling down. We had so much fun playing with the kids!

Anne outdid herself on supper tonight. We had delicious sausages, cabbage and eggplants and the most delicious cheesy potatoes ever. And there were a ton of them! Such a delicious supper! And since we were shopping today, we even got to have some chocolate for dessert. Tomorrow is like a Friday for us since we don’t have classes on Friday. So with a little bit of planning conversation and writing topics for English tomorrow, I was all set.

No comments:

Post a Comment